“I love the openness of the programme and space to grow without expectations.”Vidya, Young Associate artist
Over the next three years, the Mohn Westlake Foundation's support will enable Sadler's Wells to continue supporting young people in projects such as National Youth Dance Company (NYDC) and Young Associates, and to work with Associate Schools across London.
At a glance…
- Sadler's Wells' learning and engagement activities currently reach nearly 30,000 people per year.
- They work with 22 Associate Schools across six London boroughs.
- In 2021/22, they reached over 10,000 children and young people through formal learning and 5,000 through informal learning activities
- Sadler's Wells commissions, presents and produces more dance than any other theatre in the world–from tango to hip-hop, ballet to flamenco, Bollywood to cutting-edge contemporary dance.
- Their new venue, Sadler's Wells East, is being built in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. This 550-seat mid-scale theatre will also have facilities for a choreographic school and a hip-hop theatre academy.
“We are extremely excited that our dance coach from Sadler's Wells will be re-joining our Year 6 pupils as this will give them high quality teaching and enable them to use their bodies to express their emotions. We cannot wait for the sessions to start next week and know that our pupils will benefit enormously from this opportunity.”Primary teacher from Associate Schools programme
Over the next three years, the Mohn Westlake Foundation partnership with Sadler’s Wells will enable them to:
- Transform their impact on young people's lives.
- Place work with young people at the heart of their new venue in east London.
- Increase national and local reach.
- Create large-scale community dance productions which will be performed and created by young people.
- Programme a new young people's dance festival, which will showcase work by and for young dancers–including the finale of the new national choreography competition.
- Create a Family Festival in their new venue, providing renowned dance work aimed at children and free activities for local families.
- Programme family-friendly work with low-cost tickets to encourage young people and their families to attend dance.
- Develop relationships with their Associate Schools, and provide bespoke activities tailored to their needs (high-quality workshops, continual professional development for teachers, performance opportunities and tickets to shows).
- Support mentoring, professional fees and bursaries for the Young Associates programme.
- Provide bursaries for NYDC alumni, enabling them to make work after they leave the programme.
Over the three years, 45,000 young people will benefit from this grant.
“exciting, great, tantalizing, memorable, fun, fantastic, amazing, inspiring, and educational”Pupils from Associate Schools describing their experience
“The way that the Sadler's Wells team supports you, allows you to take yourself seriously - I now have much more confidence in what I do.”Magnus, Young Associate artist
For more information about Sadler's Wells' work with young people, please visit their website: www.sadlerswells.com/take-part/
Share this Post